A Letter From God

The beautiful Outeniqua Mountains (photo by my mom)

My dearest children,

May I suggest that you try to change your perspective? I’d love for you to take your eyes off yourselves and turn them to Me instead. I see your hearts; I know of your desire to seek Me and how hard you try. But you spend too much time analysing your efforts. Raise your gaze to Me. So many of your problems will shrink down to size if you do.

My dear kids, you don’t have to keep such a meticulous record of how many hours you’ve logged in prayer or whether you’ve addressed each item on your list frequently enough. Please – chill. I love it when you just sit on My lap and chat to Me. I love hearing your voices – so tell Me everything, even if it doesn’t make sense; even if you think it’s excruciatingly boring or insignificant. Tell Me about your aching heart and deepest frustrations, and tell Me about your joy at the proteas in bloom and the loerie you saw this morning.

Don’t stress about Bible study, either. I’m really not counting how many chapters you read each day or whether you answer all the questions in your devotional. I look at your hearts, dear ones; your motives matter so much more than your performance.

Don’t get so upset about whether or not you’re doing enough. Please. If you cuddle a needy child with all the love you can muster, do you think that’s “less important” than the one who donates R10 000 to a missions organisation? I don’t do hierarchies. I do grace. And love.

Don’t over-analyse your hearts, My beloved ones. I hear constant streams of questions flooding your souls – “Am I harbouring sin? Do I have enough faith? What character trait should I be targeting and working on? Which book should I read next to help me fix my picture of God?” Dear children – why don’t you just come sit with Me? And talk to Me?

And when you’ve finished talking, just listen. But don’t expect some awesome revelation, like the next ten years of your life suddenly mapped out in black and white. Rather, expect a gentle whisper. That’ll be Me.

I’ll tell you, “I love you.”

Come sit with Me and fill up on love. That’s the only way you can truly serve this broken world, and you cannot give away what you don’t have.

Dear children, please don’t try so hard to earn points with Me. I no longer keep score.

I hope you’ll come to Me soon so we can chat. Really chat.

With all My love,
Your Daddy


“There is no fear in love; perfect love drives out all fear. So then, love has not been made perfect in anyone who is afraid, because fear has to do with punishment.” – 1 John 4:18

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The courage to be nobody

Chatting with God - "Sometimes, Lord . . ."

Chatting with God - "Give them to Me"